At Northfield Montessori, the safety and well-being of students and staff is our top priority. We are continuing to monitor the rapidly evolving public health situation around COVID-19 by checking the Minnesota Department of Health and the Center for Disease Control websites daily for their recommendations.
March 23, 2020:
Dear Montessori Parents and Families,
The health and well-being of our families and staff continue to be one of our highest priorities. In the interest of limiting the opportunity for transmission through our vulnerable community, we are taking the following precautionary measure to limit exposures.
Beginning Tuesday, March 24, the center will be implementing lobby drop-off and pick-ups. We are still working through the details of how this will look, but in general, you will go no further into the school than the lobby. This will help reduce the number of people coming and going, which should help reduce potential exposure. We know that communication with the teachers is very important and whenever they can, your teacher(s) will meet you at the entryway for pick-up and drop-off. Teachers are also always available through Kid Reports, email, and by phone.
We appreciate your understanding regarding this new procedure and your patience as we work out the details for making these transitions as smooth as possible. As always, if you have questions or suggestions, please reach out. Thank you for partnering with us during this challenging time!
March 20, 2020:
Dear Families, Staff and Teachers:
With each passing day, we are learning more about COVID-19, and not surprisingly, we are learning more about each other and how we can support our Northfield Montessori community. We want you to know that we are here for you, and we are doing everything we can to ensure we are meeting the needs of our teachers, our families, and the Northfield community. In this unprecedented time, let’s not forget that we are all in this together, and while social distancing may be keeping us apart physically, our care and love for each other will keep us connected and carry us through this difficult time.
The MN Department of Health is recommending that individuals sick with respiratory symptoms or fever stay home for seven (7) days after the onset of illness, or 72 hours after resolution of the fever, whichever is longer. If your child(ren) has any of these symptoms, please keep them at home for the recommended time as outlined above. If your child(ren) becomes ill with these symptoms while under the care of Northfield Montessori, you will be notified and asked to pick your child up from the center within one (1) hour of receiving the notification.
In a recent communication from the Board, we notified you that we are in the process of reviewing some of our policies in order to offer more flexibility to families. For those families who have already temporarily disenrolled their child(ren) or are planning to temporarily disenroll, the Board has made the decision to temporarily suspend the Disenrollment Policy stated in the Family Handbook, and has enacted the more lenient policy below in hopes to support our families during this time:
Families wishing to temporarily disenroll amid the COVID-19 pandemic will be required to submit a two-week written notice to the center’s Executive Director, Jill Dereng. This notice may be in the form of an email but must be sent directly to Ms. Jill. Notifying your child’s classroom teacher does not establish written notice. Families will be charged pro-rated tuition from the date of the two-week notice, regardless if the child is physically present at the center. Please connect with Ms. Jill should you have questions as to whether or not you have submitted written notice.
In lieu of your child(ren)’s monthly tuition, we are asking that each family make a $250 (or more if able) monthly tax-deductible donation to the center until your child(ren) returns to Northfield Montessori for care, at which time full tuition will be reestablished.
The Board of Directors has been meeting daily, monitoring the situation and all orders received from Governor Walz. At this time, we are trying our best to keep our center open, as we know there are families that depend on the care, and teachers able and ready to lead their students. With increased disenrollment, and the cost to keep the center open, we may find ourselves in the near future needing to temporarily close our center doors.
This is where we need your help! If enrollment reaches a point where it is no longer fiscally responsible for Northfield Montessori to remain open, or Governor Walz signs an order that requests the closure of daycare centers, we will need the support of our families to help ensure our ability to reopen the center following the temporarily closure. It costs approximately $19,000/month to cover our mortgage and utilities, regardless if our center is open or not. If we find ourselves in a position of needing to temporarily close Northfield Montessori, we are asking that all families make a $250 (or more if able) monthly tax-deductible donation to the center to help cover our bottom-line expenses and ensure we will be able to open as soon as possible following the temporary closure. Tuition would be suspended during the center’s closure and reinstated following the center’s reopening.
The unknowns with COVID-19 can be scary. Fred Rogers (known to many as Mister Rogers) reminded us to “always look for the helpers” amid times of crisis, “because if you look for the helpers, you will know that there is hope.” Let’s all look for the “helpers” who are diligently serving our community, state, country, and world. Let’s use this as an opportunity to grow our Northfield Montessori community of “helpers” to share the hope in the future.
Stay safe and be well,
Northfield Montessori Board of Directors
March 15, 2020:
Dear Montessori Parents and Families,
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve and create questions that seem to change by the hour. We had a special board meeting today to discuss plans going forward regarding the operations of our school. We are trying our best to balance the needs of our families for consistent care and the need to do our part to help slow the spread of COVID-19. To that end, the board has made the following decisions:
We WILL remain open at this time, as recommended by Governor Walz in his executive order today. We will make every effort to stay open as long as we can and re-open after a possible closure as soon as possible
In an effort to help slow the spread of COVID-19, we are going to implement more social distancing by significantly limiting mingling of classes. To this end, we will start serving meals in the classroom and will have students stay with their classroom cohort throughout the entire day.
We will continue to promote good hand and respiratory hygiene with our students and staff. Please help us by modeling good behavior yourself!
Please try to limit unnecessary people coming into the school for pick up and drop off.
We will disinfect high touch surfaces (door handles, screens, etc) at least hourly.
Our current sick policy remains in effect, but we will be monitoring students more closely, including more frequent temperature checks.
In order to help cover the cost of the extra staffing needed in implementing these measures, the board has made the decision to reduce our hours of operation to 7am to 5pm. We understand that this will be an adjustment for families, but we are trying to balance our families need for care with the need for extra staffing to promote social distancing and limiting potential exposure. This will start on Wednesday, March 18th and continue until further notice. Tuition will remain unchanged.
If you have traveled internationally or will do so going forward, we ask that you self quarantine your child(ren) for 14 days. Tuition will remain unchanged. Please inform Miss Jill right away if this applies to you.
If your child has a known exposure to a positive COVID-19 case, we ask that you self quarantine your child(ren) for 14 days. Tuition will remain unchanged. Please inform Miss Jill right away if this applies to you.
If you chose to temporarily disenroll your child(ren), please reach out to Miss Jill to discuss the details of this process.
We have had a lot of questions regarding tuition if we have to close in the future. This is a complicated decision, as we have to balance the need of our families with the need to pay and retain our staff and have funds to operate our wonderful school going forward. To this end, the board has decided to charge full tuition for the first month the school is closed. If school closure goes beyond a month, we will reassess the situation and decide on a plan at that time.
All of these decisions may change as time goes by and recommendations from the Minnesota Department of Health and our political leaders change. We will lean heavily on the guidance of the Minnesota Department of Health and are in close communication with them. We have also formed a COVID-19 taskforce that is meeting and communicating regularly to make timely decisions regarding this rapidly changing pandemic. We will keep you informed as decisions are made!
Lastly, we want to encourage us all to be flexible during this unprecedented time. I know these decisions may be frustrating and stressful, but we are a community and we WILL come together to support each other and our school. We will only make it through this pandemic if we take care of each other. Thank you for your understanding and support in our efforts to promote this! If you find you are in need of assistance in any way, big or small, please feel free to reach out to Miss Jill to see if someone in our community can help.
Thank you for being a part of our wonderful Northfield Montessori community! If you have questions about this information, or anything else, please contact Miss Jill.
Montessori Board of Directors
March 13, 2020:
Dear Montessori Parents and Families,
As COVID-19 continues to expand, we have heard a lot of questions regarding what we will do about tuition if we have to close the center. We hear you! The administration and board are currently in discussion about this topic. We are trying to find a way to balance the needs of our families, our staff, AND the financial health of our school. It is a complicated decision with a lot of view points to consider, so we are deliberating carefully. We will make a decision soon and communicate this with you as soon as possible. We are a community and a cooperative and I know we will all come together to support each other in this unprecedented time. Continue to reach out to the administration or the board with any additional questions. We are in this together!
March 12, 2020: